Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Abridged Diary of a Foreign Student - St Patrick's Day


I feel that I need to go back in time the last weekend, St Patrick Day, also known in the States as St Paddy’s Day or St Patty’s Day. It’s Saturday morning, bright and early and I have to be up and running by 7 o’clock because by some wise twist of the faith I had signed up for a fast-track class. Not the most fortunate choice. Too late to change it when I realized. Let’s go back to the morning part. So I wake up with a numb head after an obviously sleep-deprived night for a glorious test was awaiting me after an intense session of cramming. On American history. You wish you weren't in my shoes. There’s absolutely nothing exciting about compressing historic events and matching them with their timing. I love history, but I’m not particularly fascinated about the memorizing process. This accounts for a fairly description of my fore-mentioned numbness. Fair enough.

I leave my house at a brisk pace – it’s always a brisk pace or else I’m looking up the word “gone” on Webster dictionary (the freedictionary is considered unreliable by authoritative figures though I like it best ) and then I take a deep breath before I’m be filled with frustration.

Well, here I am up on the platform waiting for the trolley-train or vice versa when something hits my eyes: the platform is packed with people. Green people. No, it’s not an alien invasion, it’s an Irish invasion, best case scenario. Everyone’s wearing green outfits, clover shaped accessories or clover-shaped green tattoos. Or golden ones. Depending on the taste. Today’s celebrations caught me completely off guard, otherwise I wouldn't have probably attempted to join the green madness. Or maybe not. It’s a fairly jolly crowd, with excitement teeming on their faces at the thought of the very near future alcohol boost awaiting them downtown. Now I just got into conditioning. I can’t help myself. My psychology professor is simply amazing and due to her greatness I got to identify the phenomenon. Seems like school might actually have some benefits. 

I eventually get on the trolley, spot a seat and head decidedly for it because it’s going to be a long ride and I’m still not fully prepared for my upcoming test. Yikes! I’m already stresses out, but it’s ok, stress happens. While engrossed in my reading material, an elderly gentleman sits next to me, his wife and his seemingly granddaughter in front of me. The spouses start talking.  And it’s not English but crystal clear Italian. I’m fascinated. I have a growing sympathy for all the foreigners I meet, especially if they are European. And I think the feeling is mutual. We strike up a conversation – half Italian half English – and yes!I love sharing some thoughts with welcoming strangers. It just reminds the there’s still hope for goodness in this tainted world.

So I had my moment early morning now I have to look around, for you see, you can’t ignore an overwhelming crowd, crammed on an obviously too small of a trolley. Which made me late for class. And that’s ok. This is one of the things I love about Americans: they can say “that’s ok” and they really mean it. Well, it wasn't really ok in my case because I have just missed the beginning of test, but I was more than welcome to sit down and take the whole test.

To be continued. It’s a promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment